What is an Oral Surgeon?
An Oral Surgeon is a dentist who has undertaken a further 3 years of training in a hospital setting following completion of a general dental degree. Dr. O’Neill completed her specialist training in the Dublin Dental Hospital, qualifying in 2014 having been awarded a fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. Dr. O’Neill has also received a Diploma in Conscious Sedation from Dublin Dental hospital for the use of I.V. Sedation for patients.
This allows for complex dental procedures to be completed for patients safely and with no anxiety. This has proved especially popular for clients who may have been nervous patients previously.
Dr. Marie O’Neill
BDS (Hons) NUI, MFDS RCSEd. PGrad. Dip. Con. Sed., D. Ch.
Dent (Oral Surgery), FFD (OS) RCSI
Dr. Marie O’ Neill graduated with honours from Cork University School in 2007. After qualification from Cork, she moved to Edinburgh for a 2 year program to complete a vocational training (VT) in Dentistry and work in the Oral and Maxillofacial Hospital Department. During her time there she attained her Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh. On returning home to Dublin to work in private practice in 2011, she commenced and completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Conscious Sedation in Dentistry from Trinity College Dublin. She graduated with Distinction.
Dr. O’ Neill was then selected to train on a three year full-time Clinical Doctorate in Oral Surgery through the Dublin Dental University Hospital. She attained her qualification in her Oral Surgery Specialist training with a first class honours in 2014. She was also awarded a Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland, in Oral Surgery. Dr. O Neill is a Consultant Oral Surgeon at the Mater Private Hospital Dublin and a registered Specialist Oral Surgeon with the Irish Dental Council.
What Does an Oral Surgeon do?
An oral surgeon is a specialist in all aspects of surgical dentistry including:
- Removal of wisdom teeth
- Dental Implant placement – Docklands Dental uses 3i Zimmer Implants
- Surgical removal and wound treatment for complex tooth removal
- Dental treatment for Medically compromised patients
- Bone grafting and sinus lifting
- Ridge augmentation for ideal replacement of teeth or dental implant placement
- Diagnosis and treatment of dental pathology including cyst removal.
- Use of 3-D technology to assist and implement the surgical aspect of complex restorative dentistry
- Consultation – 150
- Simple Upper extraction – 200
- Surgical Tooth Removal – from 350
- Wisdom Tooth Upper – 200 – 350
- Wisdom Tooth Lower – 390
- Bone Grafting – from 600 (will vary depending on amount and typeof graft material selected)
- Surgical Implant Placement – 1300
- Biopsy – 300 (usually covered by insurance)
- Facility Fee upon assessment