If you’ve ever needed a tooth replaced, the traditional treatment meant that you would have to go for an appointment to get moulds taken, teeth would be made and temporary replacements would be used in your mouth until they were ready, then you would have to schedule another appointment to come back in and get your new teeth in place. This process is time consuming, and if you are nervous about visiting the dentist, dragging this out over a couple of weeks can be extremely anxious. Thankfully, there is a better way – CEREC dentistry, combined with oral surgery means you can have an immediate tooth.
CEREC, or Ceramic Reconstruction, is digital dentistry technology and Docklands Dental are one of the few surgeries in Dublin offering this treatment, which can effectively offer patients same day dental restoration. This revolutionary system allows us to prepare your tooth, produce the restoration on site while you wait, and then fit your new tooth – all in one appointment.
Immediately replacing a tooth after its removal is now the gold standard and best practice. We are one of the few clinics who offer this in a day, if it is suitable, with a combination of an in-house specialist and CEREC.
It means that the shape of the gum, which is essential to a great smile, can be preserved at the time of surgery. This gives a much better-looking replacement tooth.
What does this process involve?
When you visit us for a CEREC restoration, whether it’s for a filling, an inlay, a crown or a bridge, we’ll use our specialist camera equipment to take a photo of your tooth (instead of taking a gooey mould), and this allows us a much clearer picture of your mouth.
This image is then uploaded to the design unit, which uses CAD/CAM software to create a 3D mould of your teeth. This is our blueprint for creating a new tooth.
The CEREC milling unit then creates your new tooth from a small block of ceramic, in a colour which best matches your teeth so that the end result looks totally natural. You can relax and watch TV in our comfortable waiting area while we undertake this short process.
Once your tooth is ready, we’ll bond your new tooth into place and you’ll leave our surgery with a brand new tooth.
What are the benefits of CEREC to me as a patient?
CEREC has many advantages to you as a patient:
- Time saved from only needing one appointment – the entire process is over in no time.
- Very durable and long-lasting solution – restorations can last for 20 years or more.
- Completely natural looking result as the ceramic can be matched to your tooth colour, and polished so that it looks just like your other teeth.
- Less drilling required, so no risk of damage to other teeth.
- Can be used to replace silver fillings – so with less metal in your mouth it also improves the aesthetics of your smile.
- Before you would have had to wait a few weeks between your initial consultation and your final appointment with a temporary crown in place – which was uncomfortable and could sometimes fall off.
If you’re interested in finding out more about CEREC and talking to one of our dental team about this innovative technology, get in touch with us today.